I love Davao!

I love Davao!
Taste and see that the LORD is good. Psalm 34:8

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

6th Day of Prayer & Fasting Week

It's the sixth day today of our church's annual Prayer and Fasting Week. Though I can't fast as I used to (for the last 4 years every January) due to my prolonged cough that made me take medicines, God has still been really quite near as He kept reminding me to pray of not just my needs but of others too.
Today's devotion focused on living by the Spirit. And that means living out the fruits of the Holy Spirit. Galatians 5:22 says "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.." It's easy to be and to do good to those who are good too and of course during favorable circumstances. But living in the Spirit would actually require us to love the unlovable, be kind to the unkind and be gentle when inside you just want to scream.
What moved me in the last few days is that God is also reminding me that we can effortlessly be good. How? It's by relying more on the power of the Holy Spirit that changes us rather than on our own efforts to do good.
So my prayer today is that by God's grace thru His Son Jesus, I can always have the Spirit's fruits, not only when things are okay, but also when things are not so okay, not by my own efforts but by the "enabling power" of Christ whom I claim that lives in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is Mama Gen?

My photo
a woman who tries to creatively manage well the gifts she received from God--her family, work, friends and future friends